Monday, August 26, 2019

Something that you used to do, but no longer do

712 THINGS TO WRITE ABOUT - this is a book given to me by a close friend back in 2014. It sets out 712 writing tasks that exercise your writing mind. I have been missing writing about things, and I thought that this would be a good way to get me back into the game again. Would be great if you could also join me too! So here goes nothing:

Task 1: “Something that you used to do, but no longer do”

The first memory that came to mind, is of myself standing in the conservatory room at my hobby table. I was surrounded by different colored fabric, a sewing machine and many other (all new) shiny tools like scissors and pins. I remember the feeling I had, a sense of excitement and determination like this was it. I had found my calling. I was going to become a kick ass sewing goddess. After all, it is in my blood as my mum was (still is) an excellent seamstress. My Instagram would explode because I would be so awesome. There would be no outfit I could not create, no fabric too tricky, and no stitch too stitchy. Yes, I was going to be great.

First came outfits for my pet rabbit. When you start a new hobby, encouragement is what you need to keep going, not criticism. Moe, my rabbit girl, was great for this, never did she utter a word of criticism to me.



I started to take expensive sewing classes, because this is what you do when you want to become better at something. You go to classes for a structured learning environment and to get feedback so that you can improve. I made two tops and a dress, all of which I have never worn outside the house.

Ever.  

Gosh, I remember thinking, what do you do with your ugly creations? I’m not even talking about the failed projects, and there were quite a few of those. This was getting to be an expensive hobby, and I still had nothing to show for it. Maybe the problem is not me, the problem are my tools. How can I become a better sewer if my tools are holding me back? It must be the sewing machine, I needed a better one. This made total sense, so I got rid of my month-old sewing machine and bought a more expensive one that was quadruple the price. 

I tried to make a pair of bikinis, which quite literally disintegrated when I first put it on. That had taken me two weeks to put together! I was flabbergasted when I saw Primark selling bikinis for a mere £4. Do they know how tricky those fiddly bastards can be to put together?! 

My final project, a baby romper for the sweetest new born girl. Although, I might add, the baby was not so new by the time I had finished the outfit. New skill to add to my list, applying snap fasteners to fabric, using snap fastening pliers. Or so I thought, the bloody things kept popping off every so often (and I hadn’t even given it to the baby yet!). Maybe not another skill to add to my list, along with sewing. So, when I finally gave this gift to my friends baby, it came with a warning - the fasteners are probably going to pop off, and when they do, go ask my mum to fix it.

That was about 3 years ago now, the last time I tried to sew anything. My hobby table still stands, along with the expensive sewing machine, the shiny tools and a hope that one day I will be brave enough to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment