Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I’m above average


Did you know that it is a statistical fact that close friends are harder to find?

Apparently a study by sociologists at Duke University and the University of Arizona concluded that Americans had an average of ONLY 2 close friends as of 2004. Not that I’m American or anything, but I think this does highlight how precious close friends are.

So I wanted to take this opportunity

to brag,

to boast,

to show off,

to tell everyone just how lucky I am because I don’t have just 1, or 2 or even 3 close friends. I actually have 4. And not just 4 close friends, but 4 best friends.

For the first time in my life, I am actually above average for something.

***************************
Best friend 1: Jenny Tham

Nickname: Jenny Tham

Where did we meet? Highschool

First impression? I thought she was a bitch because she had a bitchy look

One word to describe? Lame



Why is she my best friend? There is noone like Jenny Tham. Jenny is the most beautiful, caring, generous and loyal person I have ever met. She really bends over backwards for her friends. If ever you were down, she’d find ways to cheer you up. She is a fantastic conversationalist and has a heart of gold. What you see is what you get with Jenny Tham.


Best friend 2: Rita Nsubuga

Nick name: Ri

Where did we meet? Highschool

First impression? Damn she's got nice hair!

One word to describe? Feisty



Why is she my best friend?
Whatever Jenny is, Rita is exactly opposite. Just kidding, but Ri is definitely something else. Full of attitude, determination, strong headedness, confident and oh so unique. She may come across as cold and hard but deep down she is unmistakably kind hearted, loving, and is the best person to speak to when you need to see your life in a different light. Most memorable advice? ‘Minh, don’t spend your life sleep walking - wake up and live it!’.

Best friend 3: Huong Le

Nickname: Huongie

Where did we meet? Tutoring classes (outside of high school)


First impression? Generous (she gave me 40c to make a phonecall to my bf at the time hehehe)

One word to describe? Sneaky


Why is she my best friend?
If anyone has a mouth on them, it is definitely Huong Le. You wont meet anyone else who is a fighter like Huong is. Nothing will be left unsaid if Huong is around, especially if it needs to be said (and I totally mean this in a good way). But on a more serious note, Huong has been there for me through everything, especially when I was at my lowest point. We’ve had funny times, cheeky times and some sneaky times. But they have all been good times!

Best friend 4: Thuy Danh

Nick name: Thuy Danh

First impression? Desperate to be my friend

Where did we meet? Master of occupational therapy course

One word to describe? Butch




Why is she my best friend?
Thuy is seriously the most practical and level headed person I have ever met, and she is younger than me. There hasn’t been a time when she couldn’t offer me some sort of solution to some sort of problem. She can come across as insensitive, blunt and straightforward but if you dig a bit deeper you will find that Thuy is one of the most thoughtful, considerate and caring person you will ever meet.              

*********************************
If I was to ever win an award - this would be it.


No comments:

Post a Comment