Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cancer Research UK

As an occupational therapist, I get to work with various caseloads where my role is to essentially help patients to become independent so that they can go home, stay home and never come back (ideally I'd like to never see them again unless they come in as visitors). My work with oncology/palliative patients is quite similiar in the sense that I get them home as soon as possible and I try to maximise their independence at home. The only difference is, I'm getting them home so that they can die at home. But the worst part of living with terminal cancer does not start here.


It starts with the doctor telling them that their prognosis is not good, that treatment is not a guarantee, that it may prolong their time but at the cost of their quality of life. No matter how you look at it. It's not good. In any case, it then starts with hospital visits for symptom management. Short and sporadic vists which eventually turn into longer and more frequent hospital stays. Pain. Nausea. Loss of appetite. And the fatigue that comes with it! Hospital stays are never pleasant, there are so many pills, so many tests and so many health professionals to deal with. The worst is when they begin to lose their independence. Suddenly something that used to be so simple, like walking to the toilet, is like running a marathon. Through all of this, their family is suffering too. Then they meet me. I help the family to set up their home, I teach their family how to use the equipment and give advice to help them cope with caring for their loved one during their final days. Another person loses the battle to cancer. This happens way too often.

Wouldn't it be better if we could just find a prevention or cure to avoid all of this?
Which is what Cancer Research UK is all about - finding new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer to save more lives.

I have lost both my grandma and uncle to this disease. I am so sure that if not you directly, you will have known someone who is either living with it, passed away from it, is being affected by it or has been affected by it. Afterall, cancer is the leading cause of death worldwide (WHO 2004). So everyone please reach into your pockets and sponsor me by donating your money to Cancer Research UK.

Please click on the link below to sposnsor me:
http://www.run10ksponsorme.org/minhtran

No comments:

Post a Comment