Saturday, July 7, 2012

Little Red Riding Hood

I never thought I could love again after George. He was beautiful. Sure, he was a bit cranky at the best of times but that was George. He was my old boy blue. I think of him often, wishing I had really cherished the last time I had had with him. Everything was just so rushed in that final moment with me running out the door for the last time, dragging my oversized suitcase behind me. I was late for the train again. Even after two years of frequently using public transport, I still did not get it right. But that was all he ever knew of me, always running, always late and always rushing him to get anywhere. No wonder he was so cranky.

I didn't want to look back. I wanted to be ignorant of the fact that I would never see him again. I wanted to pretend that it was like any other short holiday I had taken, promising that I'd be back so soon that he wouldn't even know that I had gone. I chanced a sneak peek. There he was. If he was upset, he didn't show it. He looked a little worn, older and majestic even. My heart wanted to break, so I turned back before it had a chance and kept running.

I truly lost a part of me that day.

When I first saw her picture I was hesitant. She was gorgeous and you could tell that she had a vibrant personality. But George was still on my mind, I didn't want her. I was content with Alfred aka Alfie, a long time companion of my parents. The Yankee was persistant. I think he knew it would be good for me to meet her. So he flew me over to Sydney, put me up in a beautiful hotel and had sent me a long email in preparation for when I met her.

I did not warm to her when we first met. Not like I had with George. The Yankee loved her and immediately made arrangements for her to become a permanant part of our lives. Even when she arrived that early July morning, I was still distant. I know she was confused and even hurt at my aloofness. But the truth is I had put up a defence wall, scared to love her like I had loved George. I couldn't keep that wall up for long though. She was fun, feisty and hard to control sometimes. You could not miss her when she was present. A vast difference to Alfred, who was always grumpy, full of groans and getting on a bit in his years.

I couldn't help but love her.

Welcome to the family little red riding hood

Little Red Riding Hood
 

Alfie looking senile as ever
RIP George
 

No comments:

Post a Comment